Two of Digital Marin’s guiding principles directly influenced the needs assessment phase of the Digital Marin project.
- The Strategic Plan development process is inclusive and collaborative, involving all sectors in Marin.
- The resulting Strategic Plan is community driven to address what they say is important.
To satisfy these guiding principles, the Digital Marin project conducted significant community outreach by dividing Marin’s stakeholders into seven (7) Communities, often called sectors, and assigning at least one (1) member of the project’s Executive Steering Committee (ESC) as a liaison to each. More information about the project’s ESC is available on the About ESC page at www.GoDigitalMarin.org.
- Business and Economic Development (B/ED) – Mike Blakely, Marin Economic Forum
- Education – Ross Millerick, Novato Unified School District Trustee and Ann Mathieson, Marin Promise Partnership
- Government and Emergency Management (GEM) – Michael Frank, Marin General Services Authority
- Health and Community Based Organizations (H/CBO) – Johnathan Logan, Marin Community Foundation
- Internet, Communications, and Technology (ICT) Providers - Javier Trujillo, Marin County
- Planning, Transportation, and Public Works (PTPW) – Elise Semonian, Town of San Anselmo
- Residents – Bruce Vogen, Resident
Each Community established a Work Group to support their Communities’ specific outreach efforts. The Community Work Groups assisted with efforts such as developing focus group and survey questions, identifying people or groups to be contacted, and reviewing their Community’s subsequent outreach findings. ESC and Work Group members also participated in the review of the combined needs assessment findings and the Digital Infrastructure Needs and Options Report drafted by the project’s consultant, Magellan Advisors.
In addition to the 12 ESC members, a total of 56 individuals participated in Community Work Groups. Specific names and their affiliations are available on www.GoDigitalMarin.org under the Communities section. Some ESC and Work Group members participated in more than one Work Group.